Monday, September 04, 2006

Harden my Heart

Here's a story about the Crocodile Hunter being killed by a stingray while filming a documentary.

Here's a blog post from a woman who thinks that, despite his desire to preserve the environment and protect endangered species is admirable, he's a shmuck.

I mean, c'mon. In a word, duh.

What do you THINK is going to happen when you inject yourself into the natural habitat of dangerous wild animals? At least it was he who perished and not his infant son, who he carried in one arm while feeding a crocodile in the other awhile back. This being, of course, the real reason I'm anti-Hunter.

Before anyone gets defensive (I can appreciate the flamboyant gab and hyped up personality that framed his work), keep in mind that there are others who have found a balance between education/preservation and involvement in the animal kingdom. Gorillas in the Mist, anyone?

It's just hard for me to be too broken up about it. Nature's survival of the fittest, or God's plan or whatever you want to call it, 'twas bound to happen. I'm sorry for his wife and kids, but I simply cannot muster too much sorrow beyond that.

2 Comments:

Blogger jsa said...

I was probably in a bad mood when I wrote this. I think he was a good guy and entertainer. I just couldn't get that image of him with his child in his arms near that crocodile. It's like dangling a tasty treat right there! And these aren't domesiticized creatures (like horses), mind you. But since writing this I've heard from so many people who were genuinely sad I've pulled back a little on the mean attitude. :-)

12:52 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Crikey! The only thing I'm suprised about is that something didn't happen to Steve-o sooner. After all, this is the same man who once went around the world and picked up the 10 most poisonous snakes in the world by their tails. But you've gotta feel bad for his wife and young children.

(OK, maybe not his wife. I seem to remember one episode when she was pregnant, they were hunting crocs at night, and Steve knocked her in the river while diving out of the boat. She'll probably have a lot less stress in her life now.)

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home