Thursday, February 09, 2006

Misty Mountain Hop


I'm beginning to think it's me...

I finally saw Brokeback Mountain tonight for my birthday. While the rest of the world is just now discovering Jake Gyllenhaal, I've been following his career (or watching anything with his cute little mug on it that I could find) for the past few years--which, given his youth, is his whole adult life.

So I was very excited to see this when I saw previews a long time ago. Then the Oscar nominations and other awards, talk shows, magazine covers came along, and the hype was at such a frenzy that I was SURE I'd love this movie.

Love is a strong word. In fact, it was kind of boring. And slow. And depressing as hell. Beautiful! And unbelievably well acted. And Jake was definitely still in prime cutieness mode.

But it was the same thing for 2-1/2 hours. Nothing happened. At all. Until the end, which was (no spoiler here) rather a downer. Did I mention it was depressing?

The Good Girl wasn't exactly a light and airy flick, either, and I loved that so much I bought it. And his turns in Donnie Darko and Bubble Boy were definitely not easy humor. And, well, Lovely & Amazing was all about screwed up people, too. Okay, he's not into fun-loving roles, apparently.

Anyhoo...I digress. This movie was pretty, believable and well crafted. But if the book was this mundane I'm glad I skipped it. I'm feeling like I should have opted for Queen Latifah----a sentence I don't believe I ever imagined I'd write in my lifetime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home