Monday, October 03, 2005

Chicago












In the never-ending quest for self-improvement and a healthy soul, I recently embarked on a retreat to the Windy City. My tools toward the goal: rest, relaxation and mind-numbing shopping excursions too extreme for the faint of heart.

A huge success in all categories, my girls' weekend was just what the doctor ordered. I slept two nights in a row without interruption (something I haven't done in years), ate phenomenal meals (check out Volare next time you're there) and got bundles and bags of goodies galore for my kids. The intention was to save most of the loot for the holidays, but true to form, ten minutes after getting home they'd worn me down completely and I was shelling it out like a premature elf.

We also saw Wicked. I am a HUGE fan of Wizard of Oz, and several close friends whose opinions I trust completely had raved about this play (not to mention plenty of hype from the critics), so I was beyond anticipation. The story (based on Maguire's novel) was clever, the concept unique, and the performers talented. Yet somehow I was still disappointed...the production really didn't come together for me. For those of you who have seen it--I have no clue what the weeble wobble things were, or how saving talking animals came into play? And the obtrusive, red-eyed dragon hanging front and center that is absolutely never referenced? I realize these are probably highly artistic and intelligent metaphors for some lower-lying storyline, but being the endearingly simple-minded person I am, I just didn't get it.

I did totally enjoy my afternoon at The Art Institute of Chicago Museum and long walks along the lake each morning. But I think my favorite part of the trip was the reminder that taking time just to connect with good friends is a very important part of my life, and should never be avoided this long again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home