Saturday, August 27, 2005

Object of My Desire




I don't have any lesbian tendencies these days, but I do admit to a gargantuan girl-crush on Kristy McNichol when I was a preteen. I'm sure it had something (a lot, probably) to do with the fact that she got to kiss my TRUE crush, who I still swoon over today, one Matt Dillon.

Matt is so underappreciated. Yes, he's chosen some of the worst parts to play in the history of Hollywood. And his directorial debut in City of Ghosts was pretty convoluted. But have you seen The Outsiders?? I mean, come on---when he drags himself across the ground before dying from a righteous gunshot wound? Or when he cries, "Let's do it for Johnny, man. Let's do it for Johnny!" Woo-wee. Good stuff.

He really was very good in Beautiful Girls, Singles, Drugstore Cowboy and more recently Employee of the Month. His early work in My Bodyguard, and, of course, Little Darlings where he deflowered my girl Kristy is all great.

If you've never seen Over the Edge you need to rent it, seriously. Critics love it as a perfect, realistic slice of teen life in the late 70s.

And his comedic stuff is priceless--There's Something About Mary and In and Out were big box office!! Not to mention the cult favorite Wild Things ('course, seeing Kevin Bacon's manhood might have pushed the sales on that one). Here's his whole filmography and an interview where he talks about some of his favorite roles.

Okay maybe he's just hot. Either way I've always followed his career, and when Herbie the Lovebug was re-released with Lindsay Lohan this summer I got one more opportunity to watch my Tiger Beat heartthrob on the big screen so I'm a happy camper.

Now Kristy, as it turns out, is gay, recovering from drug dependency and has a career that makes Matt's look Academy Award-caliber. Maybe there was something deeper going on with that girl-crush thing after all...

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

I hate to break it to you, Superfan, but since the largest movie-going demographic is teenage boys, the success of Wild Things had nothing to do with either Matt Dillon or Kevin Bacon. I'll guarantee you it can be attributed to 10 little words: Denise Richards and Neve Campbell making out in a pool. That's what got me to the theater, and I was well into my 20's.

3:32 PM  
Blogger jsa said...

I know, I know. I was kidding. 3-way. Denise Richards. Generic male who happens to be aparty to the scene. I've heard it all before.

2:45 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Still true. ;P

4:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home