Thursday, August 11, 2005

867-5309


Today I e-mailed back and forth with about a dozen clients on a magazine project that's nearly on press. Nearly every other company--literally 4 of 11--had a Jennifer as a contact person.

I've always had at least 3 Jennifers in class and in every workplace, including a red-hot happenin' internship at the National Business Aircraft Association where my nickname was "Cubby", a reference to the J-3 Cub plane (I was Jennifer #3 on the team).

The last 3 books I enjoyed were written by Jennifer Lauck, Jennifer Weiner and Jennifer Cruise (okay, that one might be a pen name), respectively.

The leader of our fair state of Michigan is in the club (and is a neighbor of mine, coincidentally).

Even the baby name book I bought for my newly expectant friend is aptly titled, "Beyond Jennifer and Jason".

My sister gave me the nickname "Fer" just to be different. It never stuck with anyone except for her, but I do like it when I hear her use it.

This chick knows exactly what I'm talking about, and cites some good research on the topic.

It's something you get used to after awhile; I've had 36 years to adjust. And on the bright side, perhaps it forces all of us in the Jenisphere to strive for ways to demonstrate our uniqueness and stand out among our fellow 'Fers.

But it also makes me wish I named my kids Gwendolyn or Ezmirelda to ensure they won't face the same fate--and very glad I avoided Ashley.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

My boss has a daughter named Hazel (which I think dooms the kid to be an old soul), and she was so angry when Julia Roberts named one of her twins Hazel because she's afraid now there will be a whole generation of Hazels. You can't ever win unless you name your kid something ridiculous. Like Digital or Tituba. Or Apple.

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home