Sunday, November 11, 2007

It's Not Easy

I can't stand to fly

I'm not that naive

I'm just out to find

The better part of me


So the quest continues. In an effort to be a better mother and a better person and a more important contributor to society, I've been diligently trying to find different approaches to my age-old dilemma--I need a hobby.

I know how you're supposed to come across hobbies. Basically, you try out a bunch of different things, stumble upon something you really like to do, and then simply go out of your way to do it.

But here's the problem: my very favorite thing to do is socialize.

Seriously. If and when I get a chance to pick what to do, that's it.

I like to have coffee with my friends and talk endlessly about everything from Girl Scouts to Sri Lanka's civil war. I love to go to a bar and drink with strangers that become new friends by the time the band takes a break. I prefer to do almost any activity with the company of others. (I said almost.)

Then, running a close second to general socializing is... shopping.

So chit chat and bargain hunting. Deep.

That's not to say that tennis would make me particularly interesting, either, necessarily.

But I do have overwhelming feeling of self-consciousness about it all. Could it be true!?? Am I indeed vacuous and superficial and one-dimensional?

Well, let's see. Here's a top of my head list of things I'm interested in, spend time doing, and consider favorite pastimes:

* socializing of any kind
* shopping, especially bargain hunting
* reading
* listening to music
* watching movies
* reading about books, music and movies
* football
* the occasional blogging, gossip columning and pop culture site surfing

That, my friends, is the list of a 14-year-old boy. A 14-year-old boy WITHOUT a real hobby.

A vacuous, superficial and one-dimensional 14-year-old boy.

I even started my post with song lyrics.

crap.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Don't get too upset. If you were really a 14-year-old-boy, the top of your list would have been "Play video games," and everything else would have been extremely secondary.

Except possibly, "Picture naked every single female you come into contact with."

4:05 PM  
Blogger jsa said...

Oh GOD, so now even the young BOYS have more complex hobbies than I have.

I can work on that 2nd one if it will buy me membership into a more interesting, elite club.

I'm very open minded about this quest.

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home